Pallila (Pella) in translation from Finnish – soft, mellow ground, was marked in Swedish maps as far back as of the XVII century. Catherine the Great was flattered that name of Ivanovskaya grange coincided with the name of the antique metropolis of Macedonian emperors: Pelam (modern Saloniki) where Alexander the Great was born. No wonder, that the new residence was named "Pella".
Nowadays only the coach house and a pavilion of the Post station have been left from the Pelam's palace which was dismantled down on order of the Russian Emperor Pavel the 1st.
In 1930s a truck trailer plant of the Ministry of forest industry was built on grounds of the Post office. After the World War II the plant was reconstructed and renamed as Leningrad mechanical plant No4.
In 1950 the plant located on the left bank of the river was stated a task of arranging of a shipbuilding production. Soon tugs, speedboats, pilot boats and other small size vessels became the major products of the plant.
In 1957 the plant was renamed as Leningrad ship engineering plant.
In the 1960s the plant developed new production line – GRP production. The first prototypes of such vessels were catching vessels "Nadezhda" ("Hope") for the fishing boat "Vostok" ("East"), hydrographic vessels "Kayra", work boats "Bekas", light hulls for all national deep-submergence vehicles for exploration of the world's ocean and seas.
From 1992 till now
In 1992 the plant was privatized and became Open Joint Stock Company "Leningrad shipyard "Pella" (from June 21st 1996). Up to date "Pella" is a joint-stock company having nine affiliating and dependent companies owing territory of 33 hectares and assets enough for doing successful business.